This article is in progress, a topic I've been researching and refining. Follow along if you like it. Next to the known 'new EV manufacturers' and the old school companies playing catch-up, there are some rarities around as well, that I can be very excited about (and also sceptical)
What I love most about these new manufacturers is the way they look at building their vehicles. Technology like ‘microfactories’ (building vehicles with a lot fewer robots than a full assembly line) makes their options a lot more flexible/agile.
A base platform that is the same for each vehicle is something they also have in common. Companies like VW have developed those platforms too, but take a lot longer. Also emerging markets are hard to work with in platforms that need to be supported for probably a decade.
Changing materials from steel, to plastic based, is another significant change. It allows for easier repairs and better maintenance.
Examples of manufacturers I’m tracking:
- not that new anymore, also have their HQ in Berlin!
- their business model and ideas are creative, refreshing, new, and dealing with 'range anxiety' in a way that makes a ton of sense - as long as you drive nio.
- repeating myself. as long as you drive nio.
Articles of interest:
CANOO MP Vehicle
- starting from scratch in the EV environment
- platform base
- Comes from outside of the EU, much fewer politics
- looks like a concept, not going to happen in the EU in this form.
- electric delivery
- lots and lots of storage room